The collection includes about 15 thousand museum items. One of the reports of the Priamursky section of the Imperial Russian Geographical Society states that "there was general sympathy to the museum expressed in donations not only by members of the section and intellectuals in general, but also by common people". One boy donated to the museum a Japanese coin of 2 hay.
The collection is based on coins donated by N. I. Grodekov, aide to the Governor-General of Priamursk, the patron of the museum, in the late 19th century. The collection includes Russian coins, coins of Western Europe and of the Asia-Pacific region.
Already by the beginning of the 20th century, the numismatic collection of the museum was formed in general terms. And in 1905 the first museum numismatic exhibition was held, which introduced Russian coins to visitors and became a permanent part of the exposition. In 1908 K.A. Zaranek, an engineer, compiled the first "Description of the Coins of the Grodekovo Museum", according to which coins from neighbouring countries had an absolute predominance in the total number of the collection. In the museum collection of coins all parts of the world were represented: 32 European countries, 19 countries of Asia, 2 countries of Africa, 9 countries of America and Australia.
In 1983, the museum's numismatic collection was enriched by a hoard of Russian coins issued between 1853 and 1916 that was found by A. N. Kondratyev while digging clay for household work on Istomin Street in Khabarovsk. Coins were in a crinkle, which had fallen apart, were grouped by denomination and wrapped in thick paper. The Soviet period in the history of the Russian state is unevenly represented in the numismatic collection of the Grodekovo museum, with coins from the period 1970-1991 predominating. Many of them were handed over by the museum staff.
The modern Russian monetary system is widely represented in the collection. Nowadays the main attention is concentrated on enriching the numismatic collection with coins of the USSR of the 1920s and 1960s, as well as with modern commemorative coins, circulating in the free money turnover.
Foreign coins are predominantly Chinese, which were used by the aborigines of the Lower Amur as a means of payment. In 1999 a rare museum object was given to the museum's numismatic collection by the Territorial Administration for the Preservation of Cultural Property in Khabarovsk: a Chinese coin - a knife from 284-279 BC, which was presented to the Russian state by Chinese citizen Liupei Ji. In 2006 a "yuan bao" or "yamb" coin was given to the museum. Sometimes, at the request of the buyer, Chinese merchants paid with Chinese silver by weight - Chinese ingots or their parts. Chinese "yamb" weighing more than 1837 grams was received by an Ulch of the Hodger family when paying with a Chinese merchant. Several fragments were separated from the ingot at one time, apparently for the manufacture of traditional Ulcha jewelry: earrings or rings.
Today Grodekovo museum's holdings include more than 1,100 17th century lipped coins, about 300 Siberian coins of various denominations minted between 1766 and 1781 by the Kolyvanov copper-smelting plant. The Kolyvanov copper-smelting plant, a considerable quantity of coins of the Russian Empire of the 18th - the beginning of the 20th centuries.