History of Orthodoxy in the Far East
The exhibition opened in 2012 and covers a large historical period (from the end of the XVII century to the beginning of the XXI century) and has a wide geographical coverage (not only the Russian Far East, but also the Far Eastern countries).
On the basis of the materials of the exhibition the visitor will get acquainted not only with historical and spiritual features of Orthodox Christianity in the Far East, but will also understand the twists and turns of the relationship between church and state, church and society in that period. A separate section is devoted to the history and culture of Old Believers.
The History of Orthodoxy in the Far East" hall presents unique exhibits from the Grodekov Museum collection:
- A shroud is a cloth with an embroidered or pictorial image of Jesus Christ lying in the tomb, or of the deceased Virgin Mary. The end. 19th century.
The shroud is used during the service of Good Friday and Great Sabbath (with the image of Jesus Christ), as well as in the service of the Assumption (with the image of the Virgin Mary).
- Icon of Nicholas the Wonderworker. The end. XIX c.
The icon is in the academic style and, judging by technique and size, was a temple icon. It has been restored (the left side of the board has been replaced) and actually rewritten.
- List of the icon of the Mother of God "The Word is Flesh" Albazin. Khabarovsk. 2012 г.
The icon is named after the fortress of Albazin, captured and burned by the Chinese in 1658. In 1690, Cossacks left the settlement, disrupting and destroying fortifications and transferring the wonderworking icon to Sretensk. The icon remained there until 1860, when Bishop Benjamin (Blagonravov) of Kamchatka took it to Blagoveshchensk, to the Cathedral of the Annunciation of the Mother of God.
In January 1897, merchant Vasily Plusnin donated a copy of the icon to the Grado-Khabarovsk Cathedral of the Dormition of the Mother of God. After the Cathedral was closed and destroyed in 1930, the liturgical utensils and icons were taken to the Khabarovsk Museum of Local Lore. For many years, the Albazin icon was kept in the museum's collections. After restoration, on September 18, 1999, it was transferred for perpetual free use to the Khabarovsk and Priamursk diocese. The icon is now housed in the restored Uspensky Cathedral in Khabarovsk.
This copy was created by Khabarovsk artist V.B. Shutym with the blessing of Metropolitan Ignatius of Khabarovsk and Priamursk. On July 12, 2012 the image was consecrated by Bishop Efrem of Bikin (Prosyank).
- Gift Box. 1821 г.
The box was made by John Veniaminov (the future Metropolitan Innokentii of Moscow) as a gift to his future wife. In 1896 the box was given to the Grodekovsky Museum as a gift by E.I. Petelina, the saint's daughter.
- Cloth of Metropolitan Ignatius of Khabarovsk and Priamursk (Pologrudov). 2011 г.
The klobuk is the headdress of Orthodox monks (including black clergy). The modern form of the klobuk is of late origin and was taken by the Russian church from the Greeks in the era of Patriarch Nikon (XVII в.).
*In 1864 the Moscow Council adopted a decree on the right of the Metropolitan of Moscow to wear the white klobuk. After the establishment of patriarchy in Russia in 1589, the white (patriarchal) klobuk was worn by Moscow patriarchs
- The Gospel on the Table. End. 19th century.
The Gospel on the Table - a liturgical book containing the text of the Four Gospels and the schedule of Gospel liturgical readings.
Except at the time of reading, the Holy Gospel is always on the altar on the altar.
As a rule, the cover of a liturgical gospel has a special (often metal) frame with an image (sometimes in enamel, etc.) of the risen Christ in the center and Evangelists in the corners. This is done not only for the sake of decorating the main sacred Book, but also because the Gospel is an object of ecclesiastical veneration and worship, like icons or the Cross. During the service, the Gospel is read only by the priest or deacon.
- Panagia and pectoral cross of Metropolitan Ignatius (Pologrudov). 1998 г.
Since 1742 the panagia were awarded to the archimandrites of some monasteries. In order to distinguish bishops from archimandrites, from the middle of the 18th century bishops were given two insignia: a cross and a panagia. Russian patriarchs since the middle of the 17th century wear two panagias and a cross.
This cross and panagia were presented to Bishop Ignatius on the day of his ordination by Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia.
- Icon of the Mother of God "Umilenie". The end. XIX c.
Despite the Western European origin of the subject, the icon of the Mother of God "Umilenie" is one of the most revered in Russian Orthodoxy. Such an image is one of the main shrines of the Trinity Cathedral of the Serafimo-Diveyevsky Monastery. The founder of the monastery, Seraphim of Sarov, called the image "Joy of All Joys" and anointed those who came to him with oil from the lamp that burned before the icon.
- Layout of the Grado-Khabarovsk Cathedral of the Dormition of the Mother of God. 2012 г.
Laying of the cathedral took place on May 23, 1884 By December 24, 1886 the main work was completed, and after a small consecration of the temple in it was committed the first Christmas service. Full number of consecrated the cathedral December 16, 1890 Bishop Guriy (Burtasovsky) of Kamchatka.
In the end of 1891 a chapel with an iconostasis was added, consecrated in the name of Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker. In the end of 1891, a side chapel with iconostasis was added, consecrated in the name of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker. In January 1897, the headman of the Assumption Cathedral merchant Vasily Plusnin donated to the church a list of the Albazin icon of the Mother of God.
In January 1902 began the construction of a stone bell tower, then two more side chapels were added to the temple, and the chapel of St. Nicholas was extended by an annex. In this form the cathedral was depicted on numerous photographs and postcards.
On February 2, 1930, the District Executive Committee terminated the lease with the group of believers and the cathedral was closed. On August 10, 1930, the cathedral was dismantled by a volunteer team of ten men. In June 1936, an excavator leveled a wide hill that served as the base of the church.
- Fresco "Two Saints". 2012 г.
The fresco "Two Hierarchs" authored by Alexander Andreyevich Ryabchuk, the main artist of the exhibition and member of the Russian Union of Artists, is a true decoration of the exposition. The fresco depicts St. Innocent of Irkutsk, the founder of Orthodox missionary work in Siberia and the Far East, and Metropolitan Innocent of Moscow, the apostle of Siberia, the Far East and America, who left behind a galaxy of disciples who continued to spread Orthodoxy among the peoples of the Amur region.